Tis the season to be merry but why not be a bit more original this year—and eco-friendly while you’re at it—with a fun craft project to make your own Christmas tree out of recycled bottles, a durable alternative which replaces the traditional chopped-down, living tree. Read on for our top ten picks for inspiration.
1. A tree made from 32,000 bottles: this big-scale tree on a public square in Kaunus, Lithuania stands 13 metres tall and is made of 40,000 bottles filled with lights for an impressive festive focal point. Source : boredpanda.com
2. A DIY tree made from bottle caps: make a smaller-scale version of the above for your home by upcycling plastic bottle caps. The addition of little knitted covers makes the effect more polished. Watch the video on Youtube!
3. A community project in Albania: the idea behind this red-and-green tree made as a community project in Albania was to demonstrate that trees made from recycled plastic bottles are better for the environment than cutting down real pines—and can be just as aesthetically pleasing. Source: homecrux.com
4. An evergreen tree in China: another benefit of Christmas trees made out of recycled plastic bottles is their durability. This tree made from 50,000 discarded bottles decorates a shopping centre in Chongqing, China every year—bringing new meaning to the term evergreen! Source: dailymail.co.uk
5. Festive simplicity in Paris: trust the French to do minimal chic, even when it comes to recycling! These Parisian Christmas trees, created by French designer Fabrice Peltier, are simple yet stylish. Source: pariscotejardin.fr
6. An upcycled Christmas craft project: inspiration for the more artistic among you, this upcycled Christmas tree made from layered recycled bottles creates an original festive addition for the home or for your community. Watch the video on Youtube !
And, if you’re inspired by the above, why not make some decorations for the tree, or a wreath for the front door, from bottles and bottle tops while you’re at it? Merry Christmas!